Albert Einstein said “creativity is intelligence having fun” and that is exactly what my workshops are – FUN. The importance of creative embroidery and textile art is to play with colour, texture and stitches and to experiment. There is no such thing as a mistake, these are learning curves. Creativity is therapy for the mind.
Whether you want to learn how to sew a French Knot, appliqué fabrics or make bags I can design and deliver a workshop for you. I am a qualified textiles teacher; I have delivered adult education courses in Dressmaking, Soft Furnishings and Creative Embroidery and I have delivered Key Stage 2 lessons, Key Stage 3 curriculum, GCSE and A level in Textiles Technology and Art and Design Textiles.
Dates for Upcoming Workshops:
- Wednesday 11th April – Layered Textile Surfaces Workshop at Studio 11, Allendale Forge Studios. This workshop runs from 10am-4pm.
- Saturday 14th April – Manipulated Fabric Heart Workshop at Just Quilting, Camperdown Industrial Estate, Newcastle upon Tyne. This workshop runs from 10am-3pm.
- Saturday 21st April – Mini Art Quilt Workshop at Just Quilting, Camperdown Industrial Estate, Newcastle upon Tyne. This workshop runs from 10am-3pm.
- Saturday 2nd June – Layered Textile Surfaces Workshop at Just Quilting, Camperdown Industrial Estate, Newcastle upon Tyne. This workshop runs from 10am-3pm.
- Tuesday 5th June – Layered Textile Surfaces Workshop at Treacle Wool Shop, Morpeth. This workshop runs from 10am -4pm.
- Saturday 16th June – Creative Hand Embroidery Workshop at Treacle Wool Shop, Morpeth. This workshop runs from 10am -4pm.
- Saturday 7th July – Mini Art Quilt Workshop at Treacle Wool Shop, Morpeth. This workshop runs from 10am-4
- Saturday 18th August – Manipulated Fabric Heart Workshop at Studio 11, Allendale Forge Studios. This workshop runs from 10am-4pm.
For more information on these workshops please follow this link
I can offer a variety of workshops for all ages and abilities. I also give talks to a wide range of groups including Embroiderers Guilds, WI meetings and various craft groups.
Please contact me to discover a whole new world of textile art.
Here are some of the talks and workshops that have been popular – please get in touch if you are interested in any of these or if you would like to create you own that would be fantastic.
Learn how to create textured surfaces through using fabric scraps and layering techniques and then encrust this with simple stitches using textured yarns and threads.
For more information about Layered (Encrusted) Surfaces workshop click here
A workshop dedicated to the beauty and texture of this one stitch. Through changing the thicknesses of the thread this stitch can create an array of pattern. You will master this stitch and master the mindfulness and wonder of French Knots.
For more information about French Knot Fantasy workshop click here
Transform plain fabrics with this fun surface decorative technique using wax crayons and bondaweb. Within this workshop you will also be encouraged to add additional surface decoration using simple hand embroidery.
For more information about Wax Lyrical workshop click here
From tie dye to variegated yarns, this workshop is dedicated to teaching you how to achieve space dyed natural fabrics and threads using procion dyes.
For more information about To Dye For workshop click here
Freely Embroidered Circles
This is a simple workshop that is based on a couched technique. Using textured yarns and simple hand embroidery this freely embroidered circle can be completed in a workshop.
For more information about Freely Embroidered Circles workshop click here
Manipulated Fabric Heart / Textures & Tucks
Learn how to manipulate fabrics to create surface texture using a range of fabrics and threads and different manipulation techniques to produce a textured piece of work.
For more information about these workshops click here
Learn how to make a mini art quit by using your fabric scraps creatively. Learn how to make a fabric from strips. Use free motion quilting and free machine embroidery to create a piece art.
For more information about Mini Art Quilt workshop click here
This workshop will introduce you to basic hand embroidery stitches and how to use them creatively. You will learn how to use a range of textured threads and yarns to create hand embroidered flowers.
For more information about Creative Hand Embroidery workshop click here
From Fragments to Flowers
This workshop is dedicated to free machine embroidery. You will learn how to produce textured fabrics with mixed media and then embellish these with free machine embroidered flowers.
For more information about From Fragments to Flowers workshop click here
Prices: Talks – £75 plus travel expenses. Each talk lasts for approximately one hour with samples and demonstrations of techniques throughout. After the talk you are invited to handle samples and discuss the work. Workshops - £175 per day plus travel expenses Workshops may be adjusted to suit individual requirements For more information please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
All techniques and patterns delivered through Kates Kloths workshops are subject to copyright